Beauty and the Beast (1991) has one of THE definitive fantasy libraries (and library fantasies) which caused myself and a huge number of others to include "library with library ladder" in our imaginings about a perfect space. My dreams are only slightly disrupted by the fact that I'm nearly 6 feet tall and perfectly able to reach books on tall shelves without ladders. I'll just add double height ceilings to my fantasy.
In designing this print, I was thinking a lot about potential, and libraries. An empty shelf may seem less than ideal on the surface, but consider that it has space for your inevitably growing book collection! I have always loved empty rooms for the potential they hold. An empty sace can become anything. A new book has the potential to become your favourite.
- linocut print
- limited edition of 17.
- The image area measures 4x7" (10x17.5cm)
- The paper measures 6x9" (15x22.5cm) and is a sheet of handmade recycled paper with coloured flecks (purple, green, and yellow) and bits of dried lavender.
- Printed with dark green, rubber based Vanson ink, which is lightfast and will not fade over time.
- Signed and editioned by the artist along the bottom of the image.
- 10% of print sales are donated!
Ps. The model in the photos is one I built so I could see how light would fall on rungs and shelves in this imaginary space.